Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Wonders of Con Life

So, I just got back from a thrilling four days staffing at an anime convention. As I arrived in our "dungeon" department Thursday, I noticed that there's no one in our area and there seemed to be construction work of some kind going on. My department head in the next hall informed me that sewage had leaked into our department area in the basement of the convention center and was dripping down one of our support pillars. Shit was quite literally falling from the ceiling. This problem was corrected for the most part before we actually opened the convention to the public though.

Saturday we had a fire alarm go off and had to evacuate the convention center. We had to herd the attendees and artists outside and let them back in once the threat of fire had been investigated. That pushed our schedule back an hour, and Saturday night's teardown was stressful.

We started out understaffed (last-minute cancellations are fun) and had a few more staff leave during the convention due to violent illness; which reminds me, my stomach is still the battlefield of some kind of war due to the fact that I lived on mostly vendor food for four days.

I got the same asinine questions from people about information that is already provided to them in our registration forms. I managed to have one pen left after the convention, which was a first. People do love to steal our pens, even though we need them for the other attendees and artists to fill out registration forms.

I may post in more detail later, but I am exhausted tonight and sleep will be most welcome.

1 comment: