Thursday, May 20, 2010

Beyond the Usual

If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, why do people treat me like I'm from Neptune?

This is a rant.

I wear makeup. Not in the drag queen way, mostly because I'm not that committed to shaving everywhere and applying foundation with a spatula. I like wearing eyeliner and shadows, usually in colors that compliment my eyes or that add a slight touch of dramatic flare behind my glasses. Having less than immaculate skin, I also pray at the altar of the concealer Gods.

Now I realize this is not usual for men in our society, or at least our modern society. Makeup was originally unisex, and remained so until around the 19th century in places such as France. Lined eyes were very popular among both men and women in Egypt, as images on sarcophagi and wall paintings clearly show. During Punjabi wedding ceremonies in India, the bridegroom traditionally wears kohl eyeliner.

I expect people to take notice, because it isn't a common occurance around here. What I don't like, however, are the people who stare at me like I'm of a different species, or make disgusted remarks to my face. There's a thing called politeness, people. While I may personally think that your face looks like the back end of a baboon, I'm certainly not going to say as much out loud to you.

Really though, haven't we been through the "androgynous as popular" thing before? I mean I know I'm not the first guy to go out in public a little tarted up. It's like glamrock in the 70's never happened, or people don't look at the magazine covers featuring whatever punk band is popular (though I've noticed that most of the modern punk songs tend to sound like the same whiny 14-year-old boy is singing them, but that's another rant).

I really don't know where I'm going with this rant now, other than a desire for people to mind their own damned business and act a little civilized toward people they don't know, especially if they're businesspeople. I don't care what I look like to you, I'm a paying customer and I'd like a little respect.


Also, I discovered a website that sells religious medallions with the faces of the Olympian Gods on them. I am a happy Hellenist. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment