Saturday, January 16, 2010

Here's to You, Mr. Robertson

Pat Robertson brushed off the recent tragedy in Haiti, claiming that they've been cursed for making a deal with the devil for their independence. This person has also claimed that the September 11th attacks are the result of Pagans, gays, and abortionists; and that the Hurricane Katrina tragedy was the result of God's anger against abortion.

To you, Mr. Robertson, I owe this rant.

I take as my text that well-known but little-heeded verse from the Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 25: "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these, my brethren, you did for me'". This continues to verse 45: "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me'".

This, my friends, is the heart of Christianity. This is compassion, and recognition of the divine in others. Love is what Christ preached, not hate. "Judge not, lest you also be judged" were his words.

Where is this spirit of compassion in modern day Christianity? I say those who preach hate and judgement are not following the will of Christ. They are following that weakness in their own human ego that makes them want to feel better about themselves by condemning others that are different.

I am not Christian, but my love of the compassion found in the teachings of Jesus is profound. My heart is gladdened when I see Christians keeping the message of love in their hearts. They know what their scripture calls of them. They know that compassion and charity are the foremost commandments given to them.

Why can't all Christians put aside this hateful judgement and be more Christ-like?

No comments:

Post a Comment